Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the benefits of providing clinical supervision through Motivo’s online platform?
Providing online supervision through Motivo allows you to help develop the next generation of mental health clinicians. Many supervisors feel that supervision is an important and meaningful way to “pay it forward.”
Additionally, you will be able to supplement your current therapy and supervision practice by connecting with supervisees through the site. This reduces the time and expense you invest in marketing for new supervisees.
Further, as a Motivo Clinical Supervisor, you will receive a monthly user report, outlining the dates, hours and attendance of your supervision sessions. You are welcome to download the report for your records.
2. What rate will I be paid for supervising through Motivo?
The payment rate varies based on the type of online supervision you are providing. Our rates were decided after careful research comparing clinical supervision rates across the country in both urban and rural areas, and among new and seasoned clinical supervisors.
- Individual Supervision (1 supervisee): $50/hour
- Dyad Supervision (2 supervisees): $75/hour
- Group Supervision (3-6 supervisees): $100-$180/hour
- Agency Group Supervision: $90/hour
3. Will I have to recruit people to supervise on Motivo?
Nope. Motivo will handle all marketing and recruiting of supervisees for the site.
However, if you’d like to refer a new supervisee to the site, we do have a referral program. You will receive a $50 gift card after the supervisee completes his/her first session with any supervisor on Motivo’s platform.
4. Can I continue to supervise other people outside of Motivo?
Of course! We hope that you will use Motivo as a way to supplement your existing therapy and supervision practice.
5. Can I meet supervisees through Motivo and then supervise or consult with them outside of the platform?
Please don’t. We provide you with a free listing of your supervision and consultation services on our site. In exchange, we require that you use our platform, rates and workflow for any person we locate for you. This is outlined in our Supervisor Terms and Conditions, which you agree to when signing up on the platform.
6. Can I supervise people for licensure in a state where I am not licensed?
No. You must hold a current professional license to practice in each state where you wish to supervise pre-licensed professionals.
However, you are able to provide post-licensure supervision, peer consultation, or supervision mentorship (supervision of supervision) in a state where you are not licensed.
7. What credentials and training do I need in order to supervise through Motivo?
You must meet the qualifications as a supervisor in the state(s) where you are licensed in order to be listed on that state’s filter. If you are unsure if you meet the requirements to supervise in your licensure state(s), please check with your licensure board before moving forward.
8. I’m unsure if my state allows supervision through live video conference. What should I do?
Each state’s rule regarding video supervision vary, which is why we have created this state-by-state resource page found here. Please know that state rules may change periodically. Motivo is not responsible for tracking each state’s requirements for clinical supervision hours, or advising you regarding the same. We recommend that you reach out to your state licensure board if you have any uncertainty as each state’s licensure board serves as the ultimate authority for answering questions related to licensure.
9. What is the process for linking supervisees with a supervisor through Motivo?
When a supervisee visits the site, they are given the opportunity to view supervisor profiles using filters for state, credentials, and specialities. When a supervisee selects you, we will coordinate a free, 30-minute video consultation call between you, the supervisee and Motivo. This allows you to get to know one another and ask questions before moving forward.
10. Is there a session cancellation policy?
Yes, if the supervisee is unable to attend a scheduled session, they should make every effort to inform you within 24 hours of the appointment so other session arrangements can be made.
We, however, understand that last minute circumstances and emergencies come up. Therefore, if they give less than 24 hours’ notice or “no-show” a scheduled appointment, you have the choice to either reschedule the missed session or alert us that you want the supervisee to be billed for the missed session.
We send a “roll call” email after each scheduled session, where you report who attended and who did not. We use this report to process billing and payment.
11. How does Motivo meet HIPAA-compliant guidelines for protecting PHI (Protected Health Information)?
Motivo utilizes a third-party telehealth portal for all Clinical Supervision sessions. We have a Business Associates Agreement with the third party telehealth platform, which provides HIPAA-compliant protection measures throughout the site. If you’d like to see the BAA or read more about this, just let us know and we’d be happy to provide you with that information.
12. Can I use my own supervision contract with the supervisees I connect with through Motivo?
Definitely! You are welcome to use your supervision contract/agreement and any other documentation you require of your supervisees.
Don’t have a contract? We have a template we’d be happy to share with you. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask!
13. If I accept a supervisee and we later determine that we are not a good fit for supervision, what should I do?
If you decide not to continue with the supervisee for whatever reason, simply email us at email@example.com. We are happy to help connect the supervisee with a new supervisor.
14. I have suggestions about how to make Motivo even better. What should I do?
Awesome! As a young company we need your insight and feedback to build this rocketship! Send us your suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org! We read every email!
15. Did we miss anything?
If there are any other questions you have that we did not answer here, please reach out to us at email@example.com and ask!